History of Greystone Mansion – Excerpt
Greystone Mansion or Doheny Mansion was an elaborate and lavish residence built in the late 1920s by the Doheny Family, one of the richest families in Beverly Hills. It was one of the most expensive homes constructed in California.
The mansion sits on the hillside, just above the Doheny Road on the East edge of Beverly Hills.
When it was built, it was considered as the second biggest house in California. The first largest was the Hearst’s castle located at San Simeon.
In the 1920s, the now Trousdale Estates and adjacent Doheny Drive properties that extend west and upwards into the foothills of the Santa Monica Mountains belonged to the Dohenys, specifically by Edward L. Doheny Jr. He was the first person, along with his friend, Charles A. Canfield, who struck oil in LA in 1892.
Later on, they found significant oil deposits in Mexico, allowing them to be the largest producers of oil in the world during this period.